Welcome to Home Instruction
This page is for families who elect to educate their child(ren) at home. Our Pupil Personnel Services Department offers support for you throughout the year.
Our Contact Info:
1312 Utica Street, Oriskany, NY 13424
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone:
Mrs. Kathie Higgins, PPS Secretary
If you wish to home school your child, you must send a letter of intent to Mrs. Melissa Lowell, the Director of Pupil Personnel Services (PPS). You may also reach Mrs. Kathie Higgins, PPS Secretary, for any assistance.
The letter of intent must include your name and address, school district, your child's name (first, middle, and last), birth date, grade the instruction will take place, as well as the duration that the instruction will occur (for example from September 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014). This letter is due in the office on July 1st or within fourteen days of commencing Home Instruction.
Veteran “homeschoolers,” well understand the regulations, filing requirements, and matters of compliance with assessment. However, should you have any questions or require assistance at any time during the year, please do not hesitate to e-mail or call us
NYSED Part 100 Regulations - This is the link to NYSED Home Instruction.
The basic requirements for home schooling your child are:
- 180 days of instruction per year (900 hours for K-6, 990 hours for 7-12)
- Letter of Intent to home school your child(ren) due by July 1st or within 14 days of beginning home schooling
- Develop an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) for each home schooled child due August 15th or within 4 weeks of receipt of the blank IHIP form and regulations
- Submit 4 quarterly reports which indicate the progress of your home schooler
- Complete an annual evaluation for each home schooled child
- Age requirements:
- If your child is 6 years old on or before Dec. 1, you must register him/her with Home Instruction. You may use either a Kindergarten or First Grade Curriculum.
- If your child is 16 years old on or after July 1, you must register him/her with Home Instruction for the entire current school year.