Capital Project Updates
October 4, 2018 - Work on our Capital Improvement Project is wrapping up. While the renovated fields will not be available for use until next fall, to allow time for the sod and surrounding grass to fully take hold, much of the major construction and renovation work has been completed. Some of the most recent progress includes:
- Placed and graded more than 2,000 yards of topsoil
- Installed approximately 900’ of stone to surface on drainage trenches
- Installed clay at bases at kickball field
- Completed enclosure under bleachers
- Poured footers for new basketball hoops
- Removed construction equipment and fencing
- Continued hydro seeding
September 7, 2018 - Parts of our buildings and grounds looked very different when students, teachers and staff returned for the 2018-2019 school year, last week. Our continuing Capital Improvement Project has provided visible improvements to the elementary playground, adjacent athletic complex and high school gymnasium. Recent work/progress includes:
- Elementary playground was completed, including wood fiber and safety inspection
- Installed fence guard around track
- Installed 800’ of 10” drainage, 500’ of 6" drainage and four drywells
- Finished softball field area, including completion of guard rail
- Finished scoreboard installation
- Additional general grading and placement of topsoil
August 10, 2018 - Our Capital Improvement Project is getting closer to completion as we prepare for students to return in just a couple short weeks. Recent work/progress includes:
- Installation of clay at softball field
- Installation of sideline fencing at athletic stadium
- Installation of scoreboard “I” beam supports
- Installation of 90% of stone and mulch at playground
- Installation of 150' of 8" drainage
- General grading around playground
- Installation of binder at walkways
August 3, 2018 - As we enter the month of August, renovations to the playground, athletic fields and gymnasium have really begun to take shape. Recent work/progress includes:
Elementary School Building
- Worked on North /South Sidewalk extension
- Continued running wires for new alarm system
- Installed water fountains with bottle fillers in hallways
- Installed approximately 40 trees
- Installed stone dust and border at shot put
- Worked on softball and kickball backstop installation
- Completed final grading for gravel blanket at softball field
- Started installation of new playground equipment
Junior-Senior High School Building
- Applied another coat of sealer on gym floor
- Began painting lines on gym floor
- Installed two additional bottle filling stations in gym hallway
July 27, 2018 - The Capital Project continues to move full steam ahead. Recent work/progress includes:
Elementary School School Building
- Started installation of new fire panel; continuing to run wires
- Completed concrete in bus loop
- Started installation of bottle fillers
- Completed paving
- Installed footers for discus and shot put areas
- Continuing to work on fencing around track
- Installed posts for backstops and foul lines
- Installed piping and gravel blanket at softball field
- Installed 360’ of 10” SMT piping
- Installed two more dry wells
- Prepared walking path around play area
Junior-Senior High School Building
- Completed sanding of gym floor
- Sealed gym floor
- Installed new tile between bathroom doors and music room across from gym
- Installed new bottle fillers near music room
July 13, 2018 - Some recent improvements have been made to ensure that N.A. Walbran Elementary is accessible to all of our students and guests. A new ADA ramp was installed at the elementary school’s main entrance and new sidewalks and curbs were formed and poured in the surrounding area. New sidewalks were also formed surrounding the playground area and underdrain at the playground was installed.
At the site of the athletic complex, scoreboard footers were completed, the flagpole foundation was installed and the track pavement was treated with a binder coat to prepare for the installation of the rubberized track surface. Additionally, tree removal and extra grading were completed, installation of 10-inch drainage continued, and fill and compaction of soil at the softball field were done.
Wire continued to be run inside the elementary school for the new fire alarm system, and at the Jr./Sr. High School, sanding of the floor in the Davis Gymnasium continued.
July 3, 2018 - The capital project continues to move ahead this week with work being done on the athletic stadium, track, playground, elementary alarm system and high school gymnasium.
This week, posts were installed for the track’s perimeter fencing and fine grade preparation was completed for track paving. Additionally, the water line to the bleachers was completed and all track trench and drain were closed and completed.
Subgrade for the elementary playground was established and installation of the playground area drainage began. Placing and compacting of fill for the softball field also started this week.
Wires for the new fire alarm system at N.A. Walbran Elementary continued to be run and work began on the creation of an ADA-compliant elementary bus loop.
At the Jr./Sr. High School, sanding of the floor in the Davis Gymnasium continued.
June 25, 2018 - Visible progress on the athletic stadium track and field continues to become more apparent with each passing week. Most recently, topsoil on the field was screened, placed and graded. Topsoil was also stripped and demolition was completed on the ball and playground areas. Fine grading for pavement in D zones was completed. Drainage work and general site grading continued and “V” drains on the field were installed.
Now that the school year has ended, work on other areas of the Capital Project has also begun. Shortly after graduation, the old wooden bleachers were removed from the Davis Gymnasium in preparation of the installation of new, electrically operated, ADA-compliant, poly bleachers and the refurbishing of the gymnasium floor.
At N.A. Walbran Elementary, wire was run for a new, state-of-the-art, ADA-compliant fire alarm system.
June 15, 2018 - Components of the athletic stadium fields are beginning to be put in place. Most recently, the goal post foundations, pole vault pad, steeplechase area and long jump areas were installed.
Additionally, approximately 1,330 feet of trench drain for the track was installed, 500 additional feet of drainage trench was installed and approximately 500 yards of topsoil was screened and placed.
June 8, 2018 - A major portion of the work to prepare for the new track and refurbished field includes measures to improve drainage in that area. In the last couple of weeks, drainage installation has included approximately 800 feet of 10-inch drainage piping, 600 feet of 6-inch drainage trench, 800 feet of flat drain and 40 4-inch storm inlets.
Additionally, approximately 1,200 yards of fill for the infield was excavated and compacted, the track area and "D" zones were boxed out and graded, approximately 6,500 tons of crusher run stone was hauled in and approximately 80,000 square feet of subbase course was placed and compacted.
May 24, 2018 - As the end of the school year and summer vacation are getting closer, the Capital Improvement Project continues to move forward with further improvements to drainage in the areas of the athletic stadium and elementary playground.
Last week, an additional 1,800 yards of topsoil were stripped and stockpiled, approximately 40,000 square feet of ball field were subgraded and 20 trees were planted behind the stadium and mulched.
Additionally, three more drainage manholes were placed, approximately 1,200 feet of 10 inch drainage piping was installed, approximately 85 “Y” inlets for field drainage were installed and the layout of drainage and drywells continued.
May 10, 2018 - Progress continues on the athletic stadium and elementary playground portion of the Capital improvement Project. The initial field survey has been completed. Reference points and markers were staked out and will guide the construction of the new field, playground and structures. More than 4,300 yards of topsoil have also been striped and stockpiled
The capital project also includes improvements to drainage in the playground and athletic stadium areas. An outlet drainage manhole has been tied into the system, a storm chamber system has been installed and manholes 1-4 have been installed and piped.
May 2, 2018 - Work has begun on the playground and field portion of the Capital Improvement Project. The old playground equipment was removed and construction machinery was brought in to excavate the site. A six foot chain link fence, four foot orange fencing, orange cones and signage continue to be in place to ensure safety in the areas surrounding the construction site. An access road was installed to allow for delivery of supplies and equipment. Crews have begun removing sod and dirt form the site and started building the drainage system for the field. Tree stumps were also removed behind the stadium in preparation for new trees to be planted.
April 18, 2018 - The site work contractor began to mobilize onsite at the Elementary School. Safety fencing was installed around the perimeter on the stadium side of the building. This will allow the contractor to stage equipment and materials within the fenced in area, while at the same time, ensuring that proper safeguards are in place for the safety our students, staff and school community. We will continue to provide updates as the work progresses. Please be sure to check back often!